Join the Conversation!

Post a new message or
Comment on an existing message
83 Plum Creek households + Officer Leon are now members of this blog. Only 100 members are allowed per blog, so register as an "author" to be included in this group. - First come, first serve.
Refer a Neighbor

Sunday, June 13, 2010

COURTESY GOES HAND IN HAND WITH SAFETY

Over the past two days, I have been visited by police officers on two separate occasions. Both incidents were 'required follow-up' to two complaints by the same neighbor:
#1: accusing my son and another classmate (not of this sub) of ringing their doorbell and running away. My son and the other boy were accused based on the eye-witness testimony of another neighbor by pointing out their pictures in a school yearbook, where the pictures were nearly two years old. My son and the other boy were with other people at the time of the alleged incident.
#2: [reason withheld from me] after my conversation asking the neighbor for the name of the eyewitness and an apology for wrongly accusing my son.

I am expecting to fully participate in keeping our neighborhood safe. I find ding-dong ditching, egging, toilet-papering, and saran-wrapping to be frustrating and annoying. I imagine the people doing these things to be bored and disrespectful.

I am also expecting to be treated courteously. Ringing a doorbell doesn't seem like a crime to me. Conversing with a neighbor doesn't seem like a crime to me. I expect that neighbors with issues with me or my family contact me directly to verify what is presented as 'fact'. If this is done before the police are involved, I'm thinking the police can be more appropriately involved.

We're all neighbors with a common goal of keeping our neighborhood safe. We have a better chance of succeeding if we are cooperative.

1 comment:

  1. A cheap alternative to ADT: since I'd like to figure out who might be ding-dong-ditching me but don't want to spend a lot of money (it is, afer all, just ringing a doorbell), I found a very reasonably priced camera at Walmart.com, used traditionally by hunters to locate game activity, called the Moultrie Game Spy 4.0 Digital Game Camera. Total cost with sales tax and shipping is around $90. This is the flash model, so will have to guard against someone stealing the camera after the flash. Infrared models are available as well, for about $200 more.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.